Friday, August 24, 2007

Watercolour

Here is a watercolor piece I did when we were coming up with different designs for Daddy's Little Ghoul herself. I was thinking of an almost Charles Schulz type of style. Very simple shapes, only unlike Schulz, very clean lines. Almost as if each character were a 3D model.

I soon discovered that no matter how hard I try, simple and smooth just aren't inherently in me. While I can do it, it doesn't just flow... and I want DLG to just flow from me. I don't want to have to "work" on it. Granted, I'm still trying to keep things as simple as possible for my own sanity but my natural way of drawing has taken her design in a different direction.

Regardless, this was the first time I'd picked up a paint brush in about 10 years. 10 years!!! That's far too long but (hopefully) explains why it looks so amateurish. But man, was it fun.

-c

No comments: